Wednesday 17 February 2016

Room. Lenny Abrahamson

I watched Room, for the first time last night. I had heard great things of course, especially following the films BAFTA success earlier this week, but despite the hype I was still utterly blown away. 

Firstly, don't worry no spoilers, I have kept the descriptions pretty vague.

As the credits rolled I found myself desperate to sit a while and just reflect, there was so much to take in. Annoyingly, I work at the cinema and had no time for this and had to jump up and continue my ushering duties in a sort of strange, light headed, speechless manner.
It is incredible how captivating a film can be when it is based primarily in one small room. One thing that I really felt was that the longer the room scenes continued, the more I was yearning to see outside; the film drew me in as though I was trapped in there with them. 
I thought that the script was compelling, and put forward this strange combination of light hearted conversation between mother and son, and yet also reflected this deeply lonely, desperate reality of their life. 
Also structurally the key narrative only became apparent to us as the viewer, as they became apparent to the boy. I thought this was an especially effective way of story telling, keep the audience in the dark, rather than many films that tend to spell it out for you from the word go. This was far more enjoyable.
An incredible story, and unlike anything that I have ever come across before. A true emotional roller coaster. I already want to see it again.

Here is the trailer (although I would just advise to watch the film without knowing)



A must see. And let me know what ya think! 

1 comment:

  1. love this movie! it was one of my favorite ones!

    Please check my Blog!! :)

    http://www.alessabernal.com/

    Alessa Bernal :)

    ReplyDelete